St. Jude Children's Research Hospital all stemmed from a promise entertainer Danny Thomas made by praying to St. Jude Thaddeus, the patron saint of hopeless causes. As stated on the St. Jude wevsite by unknown author "Danny Thomas asked the saint to "help me find my way in life, and I will build you a shrine". From that promise, Danny Thomas did just that, he opened the doors to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital on
February 4, 1962. Since the opening of the children's hospital for the care of pediatric leukemia and numerous forms of solid tumors, St. Jude now has a daily operating cost of nearly $1.5 million and has brought improved health care for children all over the world.


As cancer cells grow, they demand more and more of the body's nutrition. Cancer takes a child's strength, destroys organs and bones, and weakens the body's defenses against other illnesses.


All kinds of cancer, including childhood cancer, have a common disease process - cells grow out of control, develop abnormal sizes and shapes, ignore their typical boundaries inside the body, destroy their neighbor cells, and can ultimately spread to other organs and tissues.

September is Childhood Cancer Awareness month. Annually Chili's Restaurant, an affiliate of St. Jude Hospital, has one day in September just for St. Jude. The entire days profit goes towards the help and research for these children!

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Self-Evaluation Persuasive Speech -

I am happy to say that I am very pleased with how my persuasive speech turned out!  I feel as though I am getting more and more confident being in front of the class.  It is amazing that I can remember how awful speech was in high school.  Total Terror...... However, I do still need some help with the note cards.  It is like I know that they are there and I take advantage.  One more speech to go, I will be trying even harder not to use them on the next one!

No comments:

Post a Comment